Every day New York State returns $1.5 million in unclaimed property to past and present residents.
They process online claims usually within two weeks. If you filed a paper form, it takes longer to process because they must open, sort, and scan it before we can start processing it. State Fiscal Year 2018-19 was another successful year for the Office of Unclaimed Funds, which returned $430 million to rightful owners.
In 2020 New York State Comptroller Unclaimed Funds Returned $97,528,973 also holding great amount of:
$16 BILLION in Lost Money
“I urge all New Yorkers to visit
the Unclaimed website, to check the
database and see if we are
holding money for you.”
About Unclaimed Funds
Banks, insurance companies, corporations and the courts are among the many organizations required by law to report dormant accounts to the State Comptroller. These organizations must attempt to notify you by mail and publish the information in newspapers. Despite these efforts, many funds remain unclaimed and are turned over to the Office of the State Comptroller.
Types of Unclaimed Funds Accounts
- Bank Accounts – savings, checking and CDs
- Court Funds
- Estate Proceeds
- Insurance Benefits/Policies
- Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds
- Telephone/Utility/Security Deposits
How to file a Claims for Individuals
You can submit claims for individuals online or by mail.Enter your name in the Search for Individual box on our Search for Lost Money page.
Submit Your Claim Online
- Select the item you wish to claim from the search results.
- Follow the step-by-step directions and prompts that appear onscreen after your Search.
- Based on your answers and the information we have on file, we’ll let you know if your claim was successful or not.