Do you have unclaimed cash or property waiting for you? Approximately 1 in 10 people do! There are literally billions of dollars in unclaimed property, held by state governments and treasuries within the United States.
In 2018, Montana received $8.3 million in unclaimed property, but only paid out $3.4 million in claims.
“This unclaimed property belongs to thousands of individuals across Montana and the country, and the department is committed to returning these assets to their rightful owners,”
– Gene Walborn, Director of Department of Revenue Montana.
Types of unclaimed property
Unclaimed property can be intangible, which is the most common (ex. uncashed paychecks, stocks), or tangible (ex. safe deposit box contents). Some of the common forms of unclaimed property include:
- Checking or savings accounts
- Uncashed dividends or payroll checks
- Traveler’s checks
- Trust distributions
- Unredeemed money orders or gift certificates (in some states)
- Certificates of deposit
- Customer overpayments
- Utility security deposits
- Mineral royalty payments
- Contents of safe deposit boxes
- Insurance payments or refunds and life insurance policies
SEARCH Montana Unclaimed Property
To get started searching your name CLICK HERE.
sources : mtrevenue.gov/