Has Ohio EVER Paid Out Big $$$ To Past Or Current Residents With Unclaimed Funds?

Filing for unclaimed funds in the State of Ohio is much more cumbersome than most states. Like all other states, proving your identity is important, but Ohio seems to take it to the next level. This is probably why they don’t brag much about the unclaimed funds program on their website.

Not to mention, they’ve been sued at least once. So this has is wondering how much money are they sitting on, and how much have the paid out?

We tried calling the State of Ohio Division of Unclaimed property and was unable to speak to anyone do the coronavirus.

If you are brave and want to give the search a shot (which isn’t working as of this writing) then click here and look for the search field in the lower right hand of the page. And start.

The claim form is located in the first column on the left when you complete a search.

If you find accounts belonging to you or someone you know, you can either print the claim form, complete it and return it to the State for processing, or, if you are unable to print the form, you can submit the information on-line via email and they will mail a claim form to you. We recommend doing both!

1. PROVING YOUR IDENTITY IS IMPORTANT: You’ll need to provide a legible copy of your ID (for example: driver’s license, passport, work ID, social security card or similar document).

2. TAX IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS Providing documentary proof of your Social Security or Federal Employer Identification Number is required for IRS Tax reporting purposes (i.e. paystub, copy of social security card, W-2, or other tax documents). It may also be the only proof to determine ownership. The SSN is confidential and protected by access rules in Ohio Revised Code §1347.15.

3. REQUIRED IRS FORM W-9 TAXPAYER ID NUMBER & CERTIFICATION: Section 6109 of the Internal Revenue Code requires you to provide your correct TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number) to persons (including federal and state agencies) who are required to file information returns with the IRS to report interest, dividends, or other income paid to you. IRS Form W9 available at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

4. PROVING THE FUNDS ARE YOURS IS IMPORTANT. Claims are not paid based on identical names alone. Therefore, you must demonstrate that the address in Box B/Original Owner’s Address (last known address reported) on the claim form is where you live now or previously lived.

Or instead, you may prove that you did business with the company or institution in Box C/Company Reporting Funds to the Division on the claim form.

a. Examples of proof of Original Owner’s Address shown in Box B include: utility bill, bank statement, tax records, mortgage/rent records, or post-marked envelope showing your name and the address in Box B. A copy of one of these needs to be sent with your claim form. OR

b. Examples of proof you did business with the business or organization in Box C: checks, original cashier’s check, money order, insurance policy, bank statement, or dividend statement. One of these needs to be sent with your claim form.

5. SIGN & DATE YOUR CLAIM FORM or it will not be processed. If the funds are owned jointly with another person, both owners must sign the claim form unless you provide proof of joint owner’s death (death certificate) and proof of survivorship rights.

Note: You may be required to provide a Relinquishment form or Notarized Affidavit.

6. HAVE YOUR CLAIM FORM NOTARIZED if the value of the unclaimed property on which you file a claim is $1,000 or more or if it is for the contents of a safe deposit box.

7. HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO GET MY FUNDS? Due to the high volume of claims, once a claim form is received in our office, it can require up to 120 days to process.

It is important to include all required proof of ownership and identification when the claim is submitted to avoid delay.

8. IF I AM CLAIMING THE FUNDS ON BEHALF OF ANOTHER PERSON, how do I prove the claim? First, you must show that the account belonged to the owner (#3 above).

Second, you must prove that you are the rightful recipient of the funds and you are legally entitled to claim the funds for the owner.

If the owner is incapacitated, proper documentation from a court of law showing a guardianship or custodial relationship or Power of Attorney for the reported owner of the unclaimed property is required.

9. IF THE OWNER IS DECEASED, a photocopy of the death certificate and newspaper obituary must be provided. A probate court or trust document showing legal right to funds may be required.

Legal documents showing your authority to collect the monies are required even if no estate was ever administered (i.e. Release from Administration, Letter of Authority, Report of Newly Discovered Assets) Probate orders must be dated within 2 years of filing the claim.

10. WHAT IS A PROFESSIONAL FINDER? A professional finder is in the business of finding the owners of Unclaimed Funds. Claimants do not have to use a finder or pay a fee to file a claim.

If someone offers to help you locate unclaimed funds for a fee, contact the Division of Unclaimed Funds toll-free at 1-877-644-6823 to verify that the person is a registered finder.

11. If a TRUST is claiming the funds, an original notarized Certification of Trust signed by the trustee and meeting all the requirements of Ohio Revised Code §5810.13 is required.

12. If you are claiming funds in the name of an ex-spouse, divorce records must specify your rights to the unclaimed funds.

13. CHILD SUPPORT: If funds are being claimed due to child support arrearages, contact your child support enforcement officer. The child enforcement agency must claim the funds on your behalf.

14. INTERNATIONAL: If the claimant is outside the United States, the claim form (or power of attorney, relinquishment form or affidavit, if applicable) must be notarized and the claimant verified through the US Consulate or certified by a Hague Convention Apostille.


a. Provide the business’ Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) in the space provided for Social Security number.

b. If original business on Line A is different than current company, show relationship to reported owner (example: subsidiary, merger, name change)

c. The person signing the claim form must provide Proof of Authority to claim funds on behalf of the company, such as a corporate resolution or affidavit from a senior officer as well as verification of the position of both individuals (example: board minutes, SEC filings, directories listing officers, annual report).

Letterhead or business cards are not acceptable proof.

d. If a business has ceased to exist, provide dissolution agreement or other legal records showing the distribution of assets and personal ID of claimant.

e. If a business is in bankruptcy or receivership, provide a certified copy of the appointment of trustee or receiver.

To insure the funds are paid to the correct person or business, the Division reserves the right to request additional evidence and has sole discretion to determine the sufficiency of documentation to allow payment.

Return completed claim form along with a copy of a picture I.D., proof of your social security number or Federal Employer Identification Number, a completed and signed IRS Form W9 and all required documentation to:

Ohio Division of Unclaimed Funds
77 S. High Street,
20th Floor Columbus,
OH 43215-6108 USA

Allow 120 days for processing.

To Check The Status Of Your Claim


Mailing AddressOhio Department of Commerce
Division of Unclaimed Funds
77 South High Street, 20th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215-6133Toll Free: (877) 644-6823
Phone: (614) 466-4433
Fax: (614) 728-9769
E-Mail: UnfdClaims.UnfdClaims@com.state.oh.us

Source: https://www.com.ohio.gov/unfd/

Facebook Comments